8/24/11

You Remind Me of Mary Poppins

Someone rolled down their car window at a stoplight to tell me I reminded them of Mary Poppins. All I could say was "It's interesting that you say that." Have you heard of this Mary Poppins effect in biking? Look that shit up. 
chic_plus_helmet 007
Cute Commute Wednesday
It was a good day thanks to: Polka dots, pussy bows, red-orange lipstick, full pleated skirt, bicycle times, 66ยบ this morning, and pop-in visitors at work. 
chic_plus_helmet 011
I had to kill time after work and I went to look for jeans at the Manhattan Mall. I bought some extremely sensible Levi's 515's. I still had time to kill so I explored a really ramshackle-looking store called Square One. I ended up getting 3 great pair of skinny jeans/pants in there on the ultra-cheap. 


I swore I wasn't going to wear jeans again until October, because it's so hot, but I might not be able to help myself. 


*My event tonight was kind of a bust - it was over-crowded and very loud. I was just thinking "I don't want to be in a nightclub anymore. Ever." 


*I was in the Meat Packing District so I got on the West Side Greenway and rode down to the Sno-Ball place. They're in their last week before they close down. 


I'm going to miss Sno-Balls but I'm kind-of happy to wear jeans again. 

7 comments:

  1. You are so cute and I am officially in love with your kitchen. Also, that lipstick was SO beautiful on you! I couldn't stop looking at your lips & lashes yesterday. Glad we could visit you :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE YOU OUTFIT! classy up the assy :D i cannot wait for fall riding!!!!! gloves and scarves! i need a red one...call me the red baron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheryl-correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you just rockin' that exact same shirt. You cute cycling girls must shop in the same spots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah - Me and Sheryl have the same top. When she visited me at work I had on a sample as I was in-between fittings (I'm an in-house fit model) So she saw me in a big sweater with tags & pins in it.

    It's from H&M and I bought it last week. -At the West 34th street one.

    Our friend Ann also had this shirt on yesterday but in black/white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know about the Mary Poppins effect, but have experienced it and used it to my advantage many times. But sometimes I don't feel like I'm taken as seriously as a cyclist when all dressed up... maybe it's a Boston thing. People sure love their athletic wear here, even when they're not doing anything sportier than drinking beer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh Lulu- Look it up! It says what you think it means- Cars are nice to pretty girls. It's perhaps an unfair advantage, but I'm going to work it. Cars in traffic see me come up and sometimes they try to wiggle over to let me pass by. I feel it in a more-forceful way on super-girly days like this one.

    And I've felt like a target of aggression when I was dressed uni-sex in all-black with a puffer coat. It was such a bad experience that I gave the coat away to someone who doesn't ride.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lulu-
    I live in JP and I'll get all dolled up and go for a bike ride with you any day! I don't own one piece of sporty/athletic gear besides the clothes I work out in and those live in my gym bag!
    I probably couldn't do one of your long rides out to cow country, but I'm down for one around town and I do follow traffic laws.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.