3/22/12

The new girl's new gear

IMG_0175
The Viva bike had an obstacle from day one - no cargo capacity - no rack. Tying and looping my handbag & totes onto the handlebars was my immediate solution. Though dangerous. Don't try this at home, OK?
viva bike + strawberrry

I hoofed around my work neighborhood and my home neighborhood only to be extremely disappointed that everyone only had black metal racks. There were a couple gray, painted metal racks but nothing to match the shiny chrome metal that's all over this bike.

One explanation I was given is that the shops stock black racks to cater to delivery boys.

I hated to order the things I wanted online, because you need to give your local bike shop business, so I got Ben at  Kickstand Bicycles to order them for me.

He ordered the rack I felt was best for this bike - the Wald Sports rear rack. About $20.
Cheap, simple, made in USA - Matches the viva's sexy chrome surfaces. 

Here we are on Tuesday morning's commute.
Viva got a basket

He also added the Wald 585 rear grocery basket. I'm not in love with the grocery basket but it's a temporary and cost-effective solution ($15) Note: The bungee is strung through the purse handle. 
wald grocery basket

I need some sweet new saddle bags for this bike.
I also may try to do this recipe to sew my own since my sewing machine is out lately.

Royal Ring Bell
I also ponied up about $4 for the most polite-sounding bicycle bell I've met - The Royal Ring Bell.

Also a lovely shiny metal with a stationery striker which helps when you're wearing gloves.

I got these new items Monday night and I was very happy to see the shop so busy. The weather was great but they also had busy foot traffic outside. They're not far from the UN.
IMG_0172

It was also really cute to see that they play Pee Wee's Big Adventure on loop in their window.
photo.JPG
They know what's up! 

3 comments:

  1. Pee Wee! I haven't seen that movie in forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/22/2012

    do your pink basil panniers have heel strike on the Viva ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. It's a pain to take them off the Linus so I haven't tried them. I also don't think they match the Viva and matching is a deal breaker for me where my bike accessories are concerned.

      But I do know the Viva is "shorter" and I think they might cause heel-strike but I think I could place them back far-enough to avoid/minimize it.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.