2/15/12

That Bicycle Fit Diagram

Here's that diagram. I couldn't explain this speaking so I had to draw it. nirve_diagram_web
Saying something nice:
Those freakin' chromoly tubes are amazing over bumps. If I do buy a bike in the future, I will not overlook the goodness of them. This bicycle is also very lightweight and even though the handlebars are wider than my Linus, it's easy to maneuver this light guy into the storage closet where it hangs out while I work.

Monday I rode the Nirve bike. I'm trying to feel better about it after my exhausting ride around Central Park last Sunday.
Feb 13th
My coat is Jordache vintage. Gap jeans, dolce vita pax boots. Headband and gloves are from K-Mart. 

8 comments:

  1. Hey Julie.
    The conventional wisdom on proper seat height is that the seat is supposed to be high enough that your leg is *almost* fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke. The only thing that could change is the height of the bottom bracket from the ground. A low BB gives a good center of gravity but then you risk scraping the pedals on the ground in a turn, very dangerous. So alot of companies have raised the BB height in recent years. Back in the day about 10" was standard, now it's like 11" and even 12" on new bikes.

    Also the seat angle. A very 'relaxed' seat angle will allow you to sit farther back and get the leg extension while still allowing you to get your feet closer to the ground. But it's usually not a major difference. The BB height will be more noticeable.

    Curious: Measure the BB heights on both of your bikes. What are they? I'm guessing the bike you're used to is lower to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I'm not breaking this bike down and re-building it. Just thinking about this much work just makes me feel more negatively about this bicycle ;) There are more fish in the sea, you know.

      I do think my crank & pedals on my Linus are closer to the ground. I just feel SO upright and high on my Linus and I love that.

      Delete
  2. I have a Linus Mixte and like the bike you reviewed it has chromoly tubes and I agree it rides very smoothly and I don't feel the bumps at all. I also experience the exact same thing you wrote about the correct height for my seat doesn't allow me to have an easy dismount or mount. I'm glad Ross wrote a comment so I can see about adjusting my seat to see if that will help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2/15/2012

    The Linus mixte 8 has full chromoly frame, but mixte 3 (and Dutchi) doesn't.

    Those have only chromoly downtube.
    Most of their frame is hiten (hitensile steel)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Mixte 8. Thanks for making the distinction.

      Delete
  4. Julie - If you move the saddle back on the rails a bit, it will allow you to have greater leg extension when pedaling, while also being able to touch the ground with a toe when stopped.

    Cromoly vs hi-ten and twin stays vs single tubes... Ride comfort over bumps does not depend on these things alone, far from it. I've ridden high end cromoly bikes that have felt worse over bumps than hi-ten bikes, and I have ridden mixtes with twin stays that had felt awful. It's really complicated and every bike has to be tried for itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for weighing in. I've been thinking about you while doing this! -My first review. :)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.