2/12/12

Nirve Mixte Review Diary

Bike riding
I took the Nirve Wilshire Mixte on probably the biggest single ride we will go on before my review is due to Momentum. I've been doing my daily work commute, which is about 8mi. round-trip.

Today was 29ยบ and very windy and I took it around the big loop in Central Park - about 6miles, plus getting over there and coming back. 


Doing the big loop was a lot more work than I expected on this bike. I'm just not sure about the gears on this bike. I feel like 1 and 2 are really high gears and 3 is quite low.

leopard, flannel panda

I don't want to be all, like, "On my single-speed, blah, blah, blah-" So I won't.

I made a video immediately, to collect my thoughts and because I was exhausted for some reason, but there was a lot of wind so watch it if you like, but I'll re-cap below.


Riding this over to Central Park and doing The Big Loop felt like a lot of work.
This bike has 3 gears. 1 and 2 feel higher than I would like, and 3rd gear seems really low.

It is fun to put the bike down in the 3rd gear on flat, straights and get crazy speed.

However, I am not a fan of speed because I envision however fast I'm going correlates to how fast my delicate, precious skin could be skidding on asphalt, so I do prefer to keep it slow.

I have a geometry issue with this bike. I'm going to have to make a diagram to explain it.
I've struggled to get the seat-height right and I need to show you a diagram to justify my conclusion.

I think these fancy tubes are why it handles bumps so gracefully. This also shows you the glittering green paint.
Nirve

A portrait.
nirve wilshire mixte

I got a bell added. I feel less-lawless and this is the most polite-sounding bell ever. I need to find out exactly what it is. It's not as blaring as you sometimes need among the noise in the city, but it's a really pleasant sound. If you're shy about being rude ringing your bell, this is your bell.
nirve with bell

I put my basil brand wire basket-pannier on the rear rack and secured it with a bungee.
nirve with basket

That's it for today. Please let me know if you have any questions because I've never reviewed a bicycle before. My first draft is due in about a week and I should have a few more commuter-rides on it 'til then.


5 comments:

  1. its a really gorgeous bike. Glad they're using actual 4130 chromoly tubing instead of cheap steel alot of new companies have been sneaking on bikes and then charging a bloody fortune for.

    I'm wondering since you're used to your single speed, the gear it's in just isn't close to any of the gears on the Nexus hub which would make you feel 'uncomfortable' because you're looking for THAT gear.

    Also trying to decipher your 'geometry' issue. You mentioned your height when you were describing it... Maybe I can help you translate?

    Hey did you ever hear back from Linus about your worn-out coaster brake on your rear wheel?

    -karmapics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't exactly contact Linus. I mean, I blasted the bike on twitter but I didn't email anyone. I've been waiting for my touch-up paint for 8 months so I don't have too much faith in reaching out to them over issues I can have fixed locally.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2/13/2012

    I agree Chromoly tubes explains why the bike handles dramatically better!!
    Your linus only has single chromoly downtube, rest is Aluminum frame.

    If people understood the advantage they'd buy way more chromoly bikes, and maybe manufacturers wouldn't put out so many aluminum ones (or cheapo hi-ten steel, ugh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chromoly tubes are magic! I want more!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2/14/2012

    as to the fit of your test bicycle i suggest that you have the handlebar stem raised. it looks very short.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.