I volunteer for Planned Parenthood, and often get asked how to get involved. This is the path I took. New round of trainings starts soon and here's the info.
New members are introduced to the Activist Council in 4 trainings. Once trained, members are free to decide what types of projects and issues interest them most. Beyond the monthly meetings, the level of time commitment is up to each person. The training for new members always fill up fast - RSVP Here.
You have to attend all 4, super-informative, interesting and inspirational trainings. We always had/have Two Boots Pizza for dinner. It's amazing to be around such like-minded, intelligent people. It's mostly young women, peppered with a few guys. The energy of being around such progressive group is invigorating.
I forgot that I never wrote a post about how awesome it was to march with Planned Parenthood in last summer's Gay Pride Parade. I meant to do a big post because it was such an awesome day and weekend, but I never got around to it. It was just too much, I guess.
It was extra-specially electric in NYC that weekend, because the Friday before the parade, same-sex marriage became legalized.
I've been meaning to get a video of Elspeth and me telling the story of how Bill Cunningham took our picture at the parade after I screamed his name right in his face "BILL!!!!" Because I know he's very hard of hearing.
The picture he took of us would have looked something like this:
PP went with a Sports theme and our get-ups were like badminton themed and shirts said "Serving up Safe Sex, Pride NYC" something like that. It was fun to wave our racquets of rainbow birdies around while we marched. Elspeth's girlfriend told us that our Planned Parenthood gang was one of the few groups that got cheers from the parade goers.
We really did hand out high-fives the whole way down the parade route. We felt loved.
Here are Els. & Allie maxin' and relaxin' after the parade.
Same-sex marriage got legalized the same day me and Elspeth saw Florence Welch twice in one day.
Me and Els met at 5am to see Florence on GMA here:
Then we went back later that night to sit and listen to her concert in the same spot.
Even Bonnie went! She loves Florence and other red-heads in general.
Best weekend of Summer, no question.




Note: I don't like negative energy on my spaces on the internet, so I will delete any comments I want to.
ReplyDelete