1/10/12

I'm kind-of glad about this Motorized Bicycle News

I get (New York State) Senator Liz Krueger's email bulletin's. The following news caught my eye. I don't mind them too much when they actually ride in the streets, but motor-assisted bicycles or e-bikes are fucking scary when coming at you on the sidewalk and of course the lawlessness of NYC delivery guys leads to that. 

I did have a lovely discussion with a gentleman who delivers for a pizza chain. He said the lawlessness of delivery drivers won't get better until they are paid minimum wage. So while I shit my pants from time to time when they salmon toward me, I am sorry that they aren't properly paid and hope that conditions gets better for their sake and for safer streets sake. 

Even though I ride bicycles on the daily, I also walk the sidewalks daily. I have a medium-sized dog that gets big walks morning and evening and I am constantly saddened by grown ass men riding bicycles of all kinds on the sidewalk. (It's usually men.) It's dangerous and rude. 

Here's what Liz's bulletin states on the matter: 

Motorized Scooters, Mini-Bikes, Motor Assisted Bicycles Are Illegal on our Streets!

There has been a recent proliferation of motorized bicycles on our streets despite the fact that these vehicles are illegal in New York State. I am happy to report that the NYPD has begun issuing citations on these illegal vehicles. 

 According to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, you cannot register any of the motorized devices from the list below in New York State. You cannot operate these devices on sidewalks, public streets or highways. These devices are motor vehicles, but they do not have the correct equipment or design for operation on roadways.

* Motorized Scooter - a device with a motor attached and a handlebar for a standing rider.  An example of a motorized scooter is the device called the Go-ped®.

* Mini-bike - a small, motorized device with two wheels and created for off-road use. A mini-bike does not qualify as a moped, a motorcycle or an ATV.

* Motor-assisted Bicycle - a bicycle to which a small motor is attached. A motor-assisted bicycle does not qualify for a registration as a motorcycle, moped or ATV and does not have the same equipment.

These devices are not allowed on any street, highway, parking lot, sidewalk or other area that allows public motor vehicle traffic.

----------------------------------------------------end--------------------------------------------------------

I don't see the NYPD having the resources to really do much about ebikes but I hope it discourages businesses from buying them for their delivery persons. 

As a bicycle riding person I think they're lazy. 

11 comments:

  1. Do Segways fall under any of those rules? Are there even that many Segways rolling around NYC? DC has Segway tours which clog sidewalks and bike lanes in an annoying fashion.

    I'd been wondering about the difference between e-bike and moped, but I just found out that the term "moped" is now used for low-powered motorcycles (like the Honda Spree I had in high school) and not just scooters with pedals. Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree.

    Also I don't think I ever see Segways in NYC?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have Segways in DC but they are limited in the touristy areas which I happen to ride in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You touched a nerve w/this one---those things are a terror in bklyn too! i sometimes think they are trying to knock me off my bike.

    I admit having the same thought about them being lazy ;)

    If they weren't so obnoxious maybe i'd have more sympathy-- which basically goes for all salmoning/ daredevil/ showoffs. and litterbugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can "say" in response to segway discussion is imagine a Hard Eye Roll.

    eBikes are fucking ZOOOMING. segways move slower than the freshly born caterpillars of spring so it's no issue to get the fuck away and around a segway. eBikes are so fast and fast means they appear out of nowhere.

    They're super dangerous and I'm glad they're illegal and I am going to pay attention and hope I see less of them.

    Segways can keep on being lame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. URRGH!! i hate ebikes too AND up in Toronto it's almost always MEN that ride on the sidewalks too.

    what is up with that? and i'm not talking about the old, grandpa collecting cans, i'm talking about able bodied men between the ages of 25-55.

    i have a dog too and can't stand these guys when they come barreling down the sidewalk!

    plus as a cyclist, these sidewalk riders totally increase the animosity towards polite cyclists that try their best to be good road citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1/12/2012

    I have been following your blog for a while. I love your style and the fact that you help make cycling attractive as an alternative for women everywhere. Hey if you can do it in New York – it should be possible anywhere – right? Well - unfortunately something in this post made me sad. Here’s a little background – I’m from a city of 400,000 and it’s not real bike friendly – thou it is getting better. My daily commute to work is 12 miles each way – if I don’t do errands and it is literally uphill both ways – really – there is a big hill in the middle. I have been riding this for maybe 3 years now – not every day until recently. Last summer I got Vivian – She is a beautiful red IZip Electric Assist Bike. My commute on my road bike took an hour and 20 to 30 minutes to work, leaving early enough that I could shower at work and then about an hour and 15 to 20 minutes to get home – the hill going home isn’t as steep, but there is way more traffic. With Vivian I’m to work in 50 minutes – in my work clothes and home is still 50 minutes – mostly because of traffic. I bike following ALL the laws and I help promote riding in my city. Vivian has made my life really great – I only use the assist on the hills –but that makes a huge difference – makes the commute doable and not a chore. Several times I week when I get home, I change into cycling clothes and throw my road bike on the car and ride 20 to 30 miles on my favorite trail by the river – it is relaxing and beautiful. So…..Vivian – the “e-bike” does not make me lazy it makes me more productive and lets me do more of what I love. Please put the blame where it belongs – rude riders will be rude riders – no matter what bike they choose to ride. My Vivian is a tool that I use to make my life better and she certainly doesn’t make me lazy. Just for the record I am 47 and have 3 grandsons – two of which are just starting to ride – I still walk with them when they ride – but it won’t be long before we will be riding together – having picnics, hitting playgrounds that are farther away – it will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Electric trike cargo biker here. Def not lazy. I ride two kids, sometimes four and need help. Not in my hometown of NYC any ore, but sad to here electric bikes are illegal. I love them and I continue to go slow and obey traffic laws. Def no zooming on sidewalks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymou and MamaVee, what Julie and I are referring to are these 'ebikes' that are more like scooters.

    I have no problems with bikes that have electric assist - in fact I think they are cool and awesome. I know a person who rides an electric cargo bike here too!

    These 'ebikes' are scooter wannabes, have pedals that are mounted way back and can not be pedalled for any sustained amount of time. Up here in Toronto, Canada because of the low top speeds of these ebikes, they don't require a motorcycle license (unlike people who opt to ride scooter/vespas).

    This is what the ebikes that I'm referring to look like:

    http://forums.blueline.ca/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22897

    Hope this clears things up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks cupcake. This is what I was assuming. However the law above and a very brief wiki research concerned me as there seemed no well defined difference in e bikes as fast motorized dirt bikes and a kalkhoff electric bike, and I wonder how the law relates for the growing trend of electric assisted bicycles. And also, we who ride electric bikes get called lazy all the time. I was test riding an electric giant and a fellow customer was all " how are you going to get exercise?". I looked at him LNG and hard and said, I don't ride for exercise. I ride to meetings up steep hills at night all year round.... So it's easy to be touchy when you have to defend a choice like this. I enjoy this blog and wanted to speak up as an electric bike rider let readers know there is a difference. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry guys- Electric assist bicycles might be OK in other areas, but they are being completely abused and are extremely dangerous in New York City. Maybe they can be handled responsibly in other parts of the country, but if there is a cause to keep them outlawed in New York CIty- I will champion the cause.

    I still maintain that they are lazy, and I would never, but I'm 31 and ride 4 miles to work. This is my personal opinion and I make no apologies for this view. I have yet to meet a civilian who has one- in New York. I have only seen delivery persons riding them here.

    I just got home and I tried to get my camera out to show you how a man on a electric assist bike zooming at a very quick speed on a flat block had no issue turning onto the sidewalk and going down it with people walking, but my gloves prohibited photographing this. This was not the bike that looks like a scooter. It was the basic bike with a battery box. They are zooming on flats with them. This is unacceptable.

    I ride up a fierce hills sometimes but I mentally prepare and give climbing that hill my all. Remember - I don't even have gears on my bike. If you don't like my opinions, there are tons of other girls who would love to have you reading their blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.