12/13/11

Transportation Alternatives Photos

I got asked to be a model citizen Polite Biker in the Transportation Alternatives end-of-year fundraising mailer. You can donate to them here if you would like to do so. Follow TransAlt on Twitter and like them on Facebook.
photos by: Andrew Hinderaker

Andrew Hinderaker took these photos. I was a little intimidated of how serious he might be, after looking at the subject matter on his site. He was much younger than I expected and he was fast and fun to work with.

Transportation Alternatives works on many fronts to reduce car traffic and promote better bicycling, walking and public transit.

They have a lovely Bike Ambassador program, they keep me in the know about local transportation news, community board events that need TA support-presence and other rallys that pertain to my ideals about how we can grow the numbers of safe cyclists on the streets.

These photos were taken at the end of September when it was still really warm outside.
This was also right before I went to Miami and let myself get tan.

photos by: Andrew Hinderaker

I didn't actually receive the mail piece in my mailbox but some of my friends let me know they received it and I was on there. Sheryl scanned it in so I could see.

TA Jules

I feel a little embarrassed that they called me the "cycle-chic ambassador" since I've had issues with that term and the person who trademarked that term and put non-inclusive restraints on what he thinks that means. I also don't like how squinty I look. The sun was blazing! 


But I'm glad I got asked to participate. I hope their mailer helps them raise a lot of money!
Lately, I really want to support the Car Free Central Park campaign. I ride through there every week day morning and most weekends when we go out and about and cars just don't really belong in there.

When the marathon stuff was up, it wasn't the biggest deal for me to go around the park on a bike, so I really don't think cars should be too put-out by being kicked-out.

This fella, Scott, is on my Community Board and his presence soothes my soul- I only went to 2 meetings, but he made me feel good about things, like, someone who is totally on the right page has a voice in here. He tweets a little.




I've said it before, and I'm glad to say it again- More young people need to run for office!

Follow TransAlt on Twitter and like them on Facebook.

Sheryl's post on this is more exciting so go read it here! 


3 comments:

  1. looks so good!
    nyc bike love is getting better and better ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good ad campaign and photo of you (despite what you say about the squint). I have fond memories of biking the Brooklyn Bridge and on the West Side path. GO NYC bike community!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.