12/5/11

Role-Models Everywhere: Tilda Swinton

Tilda Swinton by juleskills
Tilda Swinton, a photo by juleskills on Flickr.

Tilda Swinton is the real deal. The realest, fiercest deal.

My list of role models has gone like this for several years now: Hillary, Martha, Gwen, Tina. -All Americans.

Tilda will be my international role-model. I love her honesty about parenting. I know I will share her candor someday.

Often, when I'm riding my bike I think about this quote of hers I read "One man's courage is another man's comfort zone." That's what I think of when I'm riding my bike on the crazy streets of New York City.

We saw Tilda's new film: We Need To Talk About Kevin at MoMA the other night. The audience was so silent during this film, you could hear the sound of my leather blazer crackling when I breathed.

I also love her adrogynous look and shaved side. She looked amazing and fancier than my wildest dreams of her. I love her and I'll probably paint my fingernails black like hers asap.

Someday I hope to have the balls to have a shaved side.

9 comments:

  1. She's a very talented and impressive person, brilliant and a very sharp appearance... But parenting?

    From Wiki: Swinton lives in Nairn, in the Highland region of Scotland, near Scottish painter John Byrne and their twin children: a son, Xavier, and a daughter, Honor. She travels with her partner Sandro Kopp, a German/New Zealand painter. She has been with Kopp since 2004 and the relationship has Byrne's blessing. In a 2008 interview, Swinton commented on her domestic situation: "It’s the way we have been for nearly four years. I’m very fortunate. It takes some extraordinary men to make a situation like that work."

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Vannevar - What has her relationship status got to do with her ability to parent? You do realise that parents in divorced relationships still parent their children, and it sounds like hers is a similar structure - mother and father not living together.

    Other than that... How interesting that she produced We Need to Talk About Kevin. I've read the book and would be interested to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard she's Australian, which probably means she's a New Zealander. We always claim New Zealander's as our own, until they stuff up! I am almost too scared to see this movie. The book blew me away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always thought Tilda a little creepy, but now I want to give her a try. :)

    You think if you two were friends, she'd let u call her Tildy? ;}

    ReplyDelete
  5. "One man's courage is another man's comfort zone."

    That's a great quote.

    I also love Tilda. Have you read the novel We Need to Talk About Kevin? It's Trisha's favorite book and she got me to read it last year. The book is so powerful but realistic, I'm excited to see how the movie compares. With Tilda playing the main character, I have faith in the project - she is perfect for the role.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12/06/2011

    You might want to check Tilda out in The War Zone, a very intense film directed by Tim Roth. She plays the mom of a child being sexually abuse by their father. Tough to watch but a very realistic depiction of the affects of incest on the family system.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12/07/2011

    My only child lives in NYC she walks and buses it everywhere & uses a Metro card provided by her new job..she would never consider a car and loves to bike had one, sold it, now wants another for her main floor apt..Tilda is a lady that rocks, my child works film business said she is the most down to earth actress, etc. in the whole world, talked to her like a regular person, that is saying a lot many in NYC in films,stage, etc. act like they are above all others in this world, esp. some movie stars oh, my living god some act like they are Gods, Queens, etc..My daughter is not impressed, does her job and keeps her scorpio mouth shut until they snap their fingers at her like she is a waiter, waitress, bellman and then she just let's it rip! She is kind, loving and smart and treats all who help her on her job and all people working in the big apple just trying to make a living working 2-3 jobs like they should be thoughtful, kind and tips big time..everyone to her and us is a wonderful human being just trying ot survive in this world.I am and old hippy from southern and northern california, grew up in the pacific northwest left that in 1966 to live and love living there in southern and northern california, I survived on buses, and my bike never was deprived and got to see the lovely coast like no one else..lovely time to live in california dreamin as I penned it..Luv your blog, get a big kick out of your biking in NYC our only child loved zooming around all the time, she left for an assignment overseas and sold the bike to a gal who wanted a decent bike but no money so she pratically gave it to her for I think $5.00, we bought it for her and believe me it was not $5.00 but Karma has a way of treating those who think kindly and peacefully of others well. we enjoy our family, only child a menagarie of cats, help out at the food pantry, battered womens shelter and love each other, things are only things!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katherine12/16/2011

    I've loved Tilda since "Orlando".

    ReplyDelete
  9. This NY Times article says she doesn't keep 2 boyfriends.
    I'm a little let down.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/movies/awardsseason/tilda-swinton-discusses-her-career.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.