10/27/11

How to pack for NYC

We have a lot of visitors and first time visitors of New York City have lots of questions about packing and what type of bag/s to bring. Today I did a doodle of the ideal outfit for touring NYC.
How to pack for NYC in Winter
Wearing a cross-body bag so you have two-hands free is monumental. You aren't riding in a car, so there's nowhere to set your stuff. You're very on-the-go. A hand free for a coffee or map or camera is imperative to your functionality.

Hands-free bag also makes your life more wonderful if you're holding something and need to hold onto a rail in the subway or on the bus.

First time visitors also need not try to wear fancy shoes. Your feet will DIE.
Wear some street sneakers like converse. Converse are big here! So are my best-friends the Keds. And TOMS.

On one of my visits before I lived in NYC I wore kitten heeled boots and my hosts pretty much shook their heads at me like "What has she done?" tsk tsk... Luckily, I was only here for 24 hours and my feet did die, but I was relieved of my distress quickly on such a short trip. This is me on that trip

I also say bring a rolling suitcase in case you have to walk several avenues from the subway or down those weird under-ground passages in the subway. And if you do all that walking with a shoulder-strap duffle bag, your shoulder will be in tremendous pain. And no one wants to carry that shit for you no matter how polite they are.

Most of our family lives in warmer climate places than NYC so I feel that it's important to spell out that you need head-covering. The fierce wind on  your ears is a misery. Hat, ear-muffs, ear band, whatever. Makes you life better. Gloves, scarves, layers, layers, layers!

Outside can be a cold misery but inside places is usually hot for a variety of reasons including the fact that like, 8 million people live here and places/stores/restaurants/museums are crammed full of people.

This drawing got mailed to my Aunt & Uncle who aren't on the internet so much. They are coming for a hardcore tourist-y Thanksgiving. We are going hard for the Thanksgiving Day Parade and all the sights. 

3 comments:

  1. This is absolutely awesome, I love this!

    And now I want to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant - thanks so much for this, Julie. I'm visiting NYC with my hubby in Feb next year and I sort of knew what to pack, but we WERE panicking slightly, so this has really put my mind at rest. I'll never forget a story I heard a few years ago when I was told that the temperature in NYC dropped to -18C outside and people were told not to go out or their eyeballs would freeze in their sockets! It's haunted me ever since and I'm afraid of hitting a similar cold snap when we go!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.