11/2/11

Mindy K Book Event

I love Mindy. I emailed my friend in NYC a notice that you better be there or be square over a week ago. 

I didn't have the best book event experience. I hate to write a bitchy post, but I'll never go to something super early and save seats for slacker friends who show up later. I went alone tonight and I've saved seats in the past and the experience of the disheartenment of getting there early and being deprived a seat stung me deeply. 

I was an hour early. I was loud and found a seat, but it was terrible- directly behind column. I didn't even see her but I listened and that made me happy. 

I had every intention of staying and getting my book signed but the Barnes & Noble at 82nd & B'way didn't seem that organized. I like a fucking tight ship. This was a loose aluminum fishing boat. People could have easily cheated and cut that line, doubly undermining my early arrival. 

Sidenote of misery- the seat I found was next to a woman compulsively eating cough drops. Bad sign - I'm going to get her flu?! 

I even made her a weird little thing that I was totally going to give Mindy, but I had such a bad vibe about how things were being operated and then at the very end a weird club-promoter older lady got up in her chair, topless, with a painted-on mustache and started announcing some lame event and she didn't even give a date or time. Security escorted her out. How are you going to get up topless and gray-haired in a chair in public and not even have a political message?! You're promoting some show?! 

Sitting there waiting, I kept reading Mindy's book WHICH IS AWESOME and I read a sentence that gave me a sign that I should flee the scene- It was something about how handing your parents something you've knitted is like handing them a backlog of your idleness. 

That's when I decided I needed to take myself home and spend time with my dog and fix myself dinner, rather than wait god knows how long at this cramped, hot, dis-organized event to get her to sign my book.  

I went to the Tina Fey signing 4 hours early, saw it through and the whole thing was tight as hell. No regrets. 

I didn't get my book signed by Mindy, but I heard her speak, which was lovely, and I hope she was thrilled that it was a super-packed house. I'm still a fan of hers and will continue to devour her new website: The Concerns of Mindy Kaling I'm thrilled she has a website again after her shopping blog got abandoned. 

She said in her remarks that she was happy it was the Barnes & Noble (82nd & Broadway) and 'hood from "You've Got Mail"

Another bad-sign-realization I had came early into the Q&A when I realized a bunch of the people there were hardcore The Office fans. I'm a lukewarm at best fan of that show. I love Mindy and her writings about her life and career and shopping times. 

To bitch more about this evening - Central Park is basically closed for tree pick-up operations in preparation of The NYC Marathon being run this weekend so my ride home was disorderly as hell and I accidentally went the wrong way down a scary little street. Not pretty, but I made it home just fine and cooked myself breakfast for dinner. 

It was still a totally good day and I am going to LOVE reading her book. I actually want to stop myself from sitting down and reading the whole thing tonight because I could do it. 

2 comments:

  1. i cracked up at "loose aluminum fishing boat."

    frustration is totally normal, and doesn't it sometimes feel like this is exactly the type of new york situation that seems to happen all the time? it turns me into a grump, too.

    also, i like your fandom of things that are real and good.

    ride safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11/06/2011

    I heard Minday on NPR the other morning. I loved how she described herself as a teenager. Could really relate. Bumber of an evening though. At least you live in NYC where odds are there will be many more cool author signings in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.