Amazing realizations last night- I am fluff. I am a fluffy girlie-girl and I'm not failing feminism because of this. Fluff can vote and fluff can get on stage at the Community Board Meeting and give a statement. So I'm still happy with myself.
Like the last (my first) community board meeting, I started out prepared to remain calm with a bag full of snacks, a bottle of water - even magazines this time.
I was first to sign-up for the public speaking segment, but I actually spoke 4th or 5th.
I had a prepared little statement and pretty much just read it. People were still coming in.
Some of the voting board members were late. Swear.
I had a prepared little statement and pretty much just read it. People were still coming in.
Some of the voting board members were late. Swear.
Though I started out on the calm, quickly people started making claims like "No one in my building rides a bike" Who cares- What about me? My building has several bike commuters. And I bet that's not true anyway. Did she really take a poll? The building I have has about 250 units and I would never feel safe to generalize that no one out of that many units does or does not do something. (Other than we all live in tiny NYC apartments)
I've spent time visiting people in convalescent homes and I definitely got convalescent home rec room vibes at the meeting last night from some of the negative comments and wild speculation involving bicycles/lanes/usage.
An overwhelming complaint was "Bikes don't stop for red lights" It was said over and over again and it was hard to sit down and be quiet. This morning I set out on my commute to work and tried to count the number of red lights I stopped at, but I lost count after 5 or 6. This is just from my way to work, not including my way home. This is about a 4 mile ride.
Sampling of My Morning Stop Lights:
This is just a sampling. I probably stop at about 10 - 12 per morning. Tomorrow I'll try to be more accurate, but I'm a little occupied with all that traffic around me.




Julie,
ReplyDeleteI'm wondering how long it took you to get used to riding in NYC. I am still a little nervous while riding in Boston (I guess if being nervous leads to me being more careful it's not a bad thing!) and I'm hoping you can gives me some tips on how you dealt with cars/pedestrians/chaos when you first starting cycling in NYC.
Thanks,
Adele (and Betsy, Sheryl's former blue bike)
I ALWAYS stop at red lights, but here in Philly I see people running red lights all the time. It even makes me mad when people just slow down a bit at stop signs.
ReplyDeleteSometimes it's hard to see us bikers if you're in a car, esp if its raining or dark or if there are lots of parked cars, so it's just safer to stop at them!!
I am going to have to give Adele's request some serious thought so I can answer that in a smooth way.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I stop at a lite for a bit then take off. Don't be mad at me!
Yay-I love well thought out replies (and I also love your blog, I am a loyal reader). I'm not sure what blog protocol is about giving another blog a shout out, but this one has been helpful to me when it comes to safely cycling in Boston.
ReplyDeletehttp://bostonbiker.org/2010/04/08/welcome-to-the-street-a-guide-for-new-riders/
PS-for a second I thought my bike was commenting too-turned out to be another Betsy ;)
ReplyDelete