8/17/11

Maria of Po Campo + Malaika & Me

girls_at_trailerpark
Tuesday after work I met-up with my LadyBiking friend Malaika and Maria of Po Campo.

We met up at Trailer Park lounge. Yes- I really like that place. Look at how cute the front of it is.
And it's convenient from work. And they have tater tots.

Me and Malaika spotted some really cute Transportation Alternatives Bike Ambassadors.
(This was before Maria got there.)
bike_ambassadors
We told them we were hatching a grand plan to start a campaign to get the West Side Greenway lit better for night times. There are parts of it that are very dark  and Malaika says there's a big sink-hole in the 90's that's poorly lit. Like around where the streets of the 90's- like 97th street, etc. would be. We are going to contact our gov't officials - city councilmen - whoever.

girls_at_trailer
Malaika, Maria, Julie/Me.

malaika_n_maria
We talked bike routes, brushes with danger, plans for rain gear and fall glove purchases we have in mind- Serious bike talk. Quite the meeting of the minds. I should have taken notes, but I was busy drinking beers and eatin' tator tots.

Maria & Malaika
Maria gave Malaika one of the Po Campo reflective bird pins - it works!
Maria lives in Chicago and HUB had loaned her a nice vintage Schwinn to use while she's in town.
malaika_maria_greenway
It was a very nice little meet-up. I'm so glad we did it, thanks, girls!

Malaika only rode on the sidewalk for about 8 feet and I love this pic because it's so New York to me.
malaika_takes_off

Helmets
I love this helmet multi-tasking. We had very little table space.

5 comments:

  1. 0o how fun! I love po-campo's rack bags! MUST GET ONE :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8/17/2011

    Maria is a sweetheart. And I recognized the reflective glow on her Po Campo bag and Malaika's pin too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, really want a bike but I am a little terrified to ride it here. I'm used to riding on the boardwalk near the beach in CA so the city is still intimidating place to ride. BUT I just have to bite the bullet and buy a bike...you make it seem not so scary though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jes Howen - NYC Bike Ambassador8/19/2011

    Thanks for the Bike Ambassador shout out! I totally agree with you about the Dark Side of the Greenway! It definitely affects my decision to ride north at night. Love your blog. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was great to hang out with you guys - biking in NYC is SO MUCH FUN!!!

    Looking forward to hearing about Fashions Night Out activities in Sept!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.