4/1/11

About Last Night - The BikeNYC Tech Meetup

First- Here are Dmitry's photos on Facebook beautifully documenting the event. And I'm stealing a bunch of them to help explain what took place last night.  

I feel a little embarrassed about not preparing and coming off sounding like a crazy girl about getting up and speaking last night in front of all of these serious NYC Bicycle advocates, bicycle advocate lawyers, my fancy, awesome, photographer acquaintance Dmitry, a community organizer of seriously admirable proportions and other intensely qualified speakers- I wasn't prepared to speak. I had a reservation for a MAC make-up seminar. An actual cosmetic-make-up seminar with mascara and lipstick discussion.

That's how my double-bookings go- Bicycle Tech/Blogger Meet-up or Makeup & Beauty Education.

-But I really couldn't wait any longer to meet Bitch Cakes and Amanda, so I got myself out of the make-up class, and went to this Bike Knurd Bike NYC tech meet-up thing. The organizer asked me if I wanted to get up and talk for 5min. or less and I said "sure!" 

Even today, after embarrassing myself a little in front of all these people- I'm still not great at explaining what this event was. But it was educational, inspiring, and I'm so glad I went!

I looked at the "serious" side of the room, like really serious lifelong New York bicycle-types. Lots of gray and black clothing over there- I felt intimidated by their level of experience, but knew I was invited there to bring my flavor.
bike_tech
The main character in this has great style and I would love to know how he dresses in rain and shitty weather situations. Really, I would.

Then, there's this cute girly row!
cute_row

I should have just pulled up the My Bicycle Page on this blog and read aloud. I used an ultimate-freestyle public speaking method. I wish someone who knows me would have been there to give concise feedback. Sheryl was really onto my southern accent, so I think I need to make videos so you can hear my twangy squeaks.

http://gudphoto.com/
I'm glad I learned that even though I'm not an active advocate in the actual fight over the bicycle lanes, I'm helping the cause simply by participating in bicycle riding. I feel like I'm a good example of a girly-girl who gets on a bike to get herself around, and I look forward to encouraging more ladies to get in on the fun of riding. It's scary to think of bicycle riding in NYC, but hey! It's pretty cool if you're empowered with knowledge. I'm doing it, enjoying it and looking cute while I'm at it!

These are some of the lovely faces of #BikeNYC and I'm so happy that I'm apart of it, and that I got to meet these cool ladies!
www.gudphoto.com
I made some joke to Sheryl about checking in on FourSquare as sitting next to her, but I literally meant establishing "Sitting Next to Bitch Cakes" as a location on FourSquare she's so popular!

I told Dmitry we need to contrive a new photo shoot to top the one from last summer. I also found this new picture that I'm about to use in many, many crevices of the internets.
julie_bikeNYC_shoot

Someone give him a book deal already, so me and Sheryl can go to the party!
Every single one of these photos by Dmitry Gudkov - http://gudphoto.com/bikenyc




3 comments:

  1. Aw, shucks, Julie. Thanks for the kind mention. Great seeing you the other night! Also, you were great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/01/2011

    Oh, Julie, I could just give you a big hug! I feel the same way around advocate types. I feel so initimated, although I know that's nobody's intention. I bearly know how to pump air in my tires and felt so proud recently when I attahed a blinkie light to my new bike using a wrench without my husband's supervision. I just like to ride my bike instead of putting gas in my car - that's how I afford the JCrew outlet and my Aveda habit. Hopefully, my pink kitten heels resting atop my bike pedals will inspire some other girly girl to hop on her bike. Tee-hee. I have a southern twang, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the book deal. I love Dmitry's photos (blogged about it a couple of weeks ago.) ...and this meeting looked tubular. (<--yes, 80s lingo...you know what's up.)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.