2/28/11

My Birthday was MAJOR!

I could not be more grateful for what a wonderful Birthday weekend I had. The whole stinking weekend was all about fun events that I love and hanging with cute girls who I love to spend time with, and my sweet husband hanging too!

Saturday I got up and got ready for the Planned Parenthood Rally for Women's Health. I rode my bicycle down to city hall. I was surprised at how fast I got down there. This parking spot is literally and figuratively shady, but there were tons of police and when I returned after the rally- many bikes were on these racks.
_JPH0053

_JPH0130
These 2 capture the spirit of the rally - friendly, hopeful, not pissed, even though we should be pissed! The rally gave me a great feeling of community. I loved seeing little kids and young college-age peeps. HOPE.

Gloria Steinem called-in sick, but we got other awesome speakers (and I have a ticket to see GS introduce an Art film at MoMa later this week!) - Charles Schumer, Anthony Weiner, Kathleen Turner... Actually the smaller-scale, more local politicians were the fieriest speakers.

_JPH0216
Kathleen Turner brought it. 

_JPH0232
The crowd was really cute. Very young and hip crowd.

2 friends met me there, and miraculously found me in the crowd. After the rally, the bike was an issue. We walked it first to the Chinatown McDonald's to pee. They had the most enthusiastic welcome-greeter I've ever experienced in New York City.

We walked to Acme, a cajun-inspired restaurant and killed a few hours eating fat-hell food and drinking some drinks. Matt met us.

We went to Bingo and my friend Sheila won...
_JPH0301

Then I won one! It's not about what you win, rather the glory of the fun of winning.
IMGP3730
I got to spin "The Wheel of Chance" after my win. It selects the next drink special. If you really want to know... I won a Miley Cyrus gift package. The Glory!

The Bingo hostess is a legendary, precious Drag Queen who I love a lot. She asked me how the rally had gone. So nice of her to ask! I'm still so flattered that these people know my name.

I had my bike and the plan was to put it on the subway, but the nearest subway was closed! The subway is so unreliable on the weekend. We gave up and called a car service. I was able to specify that I needed an SUV because a bicycle needed to go in the back. That was the bike's first car ride. (It cost double the usual yellow taxi, fyi.)

Sunday I was really gross all day and just sat on the couch until time to get ready for the Oscar Party! I regret not having Matt take my outfit/makeup pics. I did a big, fat cat's eyeliner. This dress has POCKETS! I wore really comfy booties because I thought I might be up and out late and I wore tights because it's still February!


I didn't buy anything new to wear this weekend, and actually I didn't take the $4.00 thrift shop price tag off of this purse.



We kind of got messed-up a little on my table reservation (Frantic emailing of the host at the last minute for a table, please, help me!) and sat in a corner instead of the VIP booth. That was a little sad. I'm still happy Murray tried to help me and hollered at me for a birthday hug and a little catch-up after the show.










After the Oscars...
IMGP3733
A friend of mine- a guy at work, hears about my weekend and says Matt is the luckiest guy because he's always surrounded by women.

After the terribly boring, too-full-of-old-white-men Oscars... I had the momentum to stay out and go even further downtown to a really gay dance party for gay boys to see some friends perform.
I love going to gay-boy dance club times because no one hits on me! They want to talk about my clothes, hair & makeup!

Me with Matt after the Oscar party. Matt went home and I headed to the next party.
IMGP3735

Their performance was good.
IMGP3744
Peaches was there! I didn't write this on here, but last Saturday at the awesome show we went to Peaches was there. I told her I'm a fan. It was intimidating and special.

IMGP3740

The other day I was talking to a friend about how I miss being around some of these people. The makeup talk, etc. It was great to hug Amanda and get her chunky wig glitter on me.
IMGP3746

GREAT BIRTHDAY WEEKEND! 



3 comments:

  1. happy belated birthday, julie! ramona loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy late birthday! What did you turn? I'll be 32 in May and I can't wait... my whole life, I've always thought 32 was going to be a great year.

    I love your fancy coat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated happy birthday! I know you had fun. I wish you the best of everything.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.