5/8/12

Brooks Happens

Brooks by juleskills
Brooks, a photo by juleskills on Flickr.

My bike-saturated weekend was so bike-saturated that I forgot that this Brooks saddle happened on Friday. I got it from the very fancy bike shop in TriBeCa where they know I do a blog and I thought a discount my come my way, at least 10% to alleviate tax, but oh, no. I paid the ultimate bike shop retail. #SupportYourLocalBikeShop #Breathe

It hurts my heart to think about how I paid the fullest retail price possible, plus tax for something so small and steal-able.

But my ass is a different story- This pup was hard as a rock for the first say, seventy miles, but now I really dig it. I bought it because I blindly, and happily believe in the advice of Velouria of Lovely Bicycle.

I really appreciate the short "nose" on this guy. I hate that I can't pop off that Brooks plate on the back. That tiny plate has a huge voice screaming STEAL ME!!! So I need to hush it up somehow.

Blog post coming up: "How to deface your Brooks saddle to deter theft while maintaining function."

But seriously, I bet I remove it and put my cheap-o saddle back on. We'll see.

5 comments:

  1. Could you just cover it with a bag? When it's wet outside here, all the bikers leave a bag over their seats to keep them dry while parked. Nothing fancy, I've seen plastic shopping bags used most frequently. Out of sight, out of mind maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have cable lock on my saddle that is locked to my seat post. The thief would have to remove my seat post to steal it. Not 100 percent, but a lot of trouble to steal it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. brooks are totally worth it! i was given one recently and it changed my life! it was slightly used so it was sorta broken in. i live and ride in boston (where brooks get stolen in the blink of an eye) i have a cable that i slip through the rails, the rear tire and then to my u lock. i am not happy to carry it around but i would be much less happy with my old crap saddle. let me know if you come up with a better idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can send you black electrical tape! Kind of digging that saddle!

    Sarah @ Thinfluenced

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rode it Thursday night and parked it outside with kryptonite, thick rope chain threaded through and attached to my fatty Krypto U-Lock but the kicker is that my bike was parked next to someone's personal chauffer the entire time so... Thanks for protecting my bike, chauffer!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.