4/9/12

Bike NYC Progress

Bad picture - EXCELLENT NEWS! Check the lower-right corner. Witness the birth of a freshly painted bike lane! bike lane!
The bike lane up 1st Avenue, the one that I went to Community Board meetings to speak on behalf of. One of which I prepared a little statement and got on a stage and stood at a lecturn and used a microphone to speak on behalf of... is now sketched-out in fresh paint up to 72nd street (and surely beyond) on the Upper East Side.

I was overjoyed to see this on my way home Thursday afternoon while I was stopped at the light. I quickly pulled out my camera to capture the good news. Democracy at work, babes. Get up, speak out. Bike Polite. We the people? Julie the people? Either way- people can feel a little bit better biking up crazy wild 1st Avenue if they feel the safety of some painted lane just for them. I definitely feel more cozy in a bicycle lane.

Back to the Bicycle Share meeting I attended on March 26th. I bit my tongue on social media and didn't slander the trouble-maker at my table who put "No" red arrows on every proposed bike share station location on the lovely map the DOT brought for us to see and comment on. You could put a red arrow to say "Not a good idea" or put a green arrow to indicate "Great idea!" - In regard to proposed bike share station locations.

One woman in our group put red "NO" arrows on every proposed sidewalk location. She didn't want bicycles on the sidewalks. Ever. She even "No"-marked sidewalks that she wasn't that familiar with against the advice of the group leader. (We were asked to weigh in on locations we were familiar with. I put a green arrow next to the ramp for the river-side pathway. How convenient will that be?!)

Saturday morning I observed this excellent example of a sidewalk with plenty of pedestrian room and bicycles parked perpendicular to the street and thought back to that lady. There are seriously bikes everywhere, all over most streets in Manhattan. That crazy lady. on the street Can't we all just get along? Who cares- NYC Bike share is coming and it's going to be rad.

2 comments:

  1. Are you saying that there is now a bike lane between 60th street and 72nd street on First Avenue? That was the last stretch I remember that needed it. I would be VERY happy if that were now filled in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- But it's so brand new that it's not really "enforced" If that makes sense. It's kind of a construction zone in some places where they are installing the pedestrian islands.

      Also, the lines are so fresh, that the cars were not utilizing the system correctly at all.

      There's a big gap in the bike lane from 56th street to about 62nd which is a really scary part because of the people making lefts in the two left lanes to go onto the Q'boro bridge.

      I still had a pretty easy commute straight up 1st this evening but traffic was light due to Passover, I think.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.