11/6/11

Back to School

Con-ed
I'm taking a continuing ed. non-credit course at FIT - the fashion institute of technology.
I want to get better at my doodles. Better at communicating clothing because it's an important part of story-telling in my book.

Several friends and even my husband were interested to see what I was going to wear to class today.
What I wore to my class
I wore dark jeans in case I got pencil smudges on my jeans if it was crazy like that.
I mostly used a very soft and neat pencil. 4H

Learning this fashion form stuff was MAGIC.
Magic

I had a one-on-one time with my instructor (Who is fabulous by the way) and I had to admit that I'm not actually an aspiring fashion designer, I just want to illustrate things that happen in my life and sketch-out clothest that I might want to make for myself or little costumes.

My drawing
We mostly drew from magazines today. It's 4 hours for three Sundays and it's run like a workshop and he gives a lot of individual direction and instruction.

DrawingI think my teacher thinks I'm crazy, but I have a good handle on drawing and I think I asked good questions, so I guess he's keeping me.

Next week I'm going to get my shit together and get in fashion designer mode and have intentions about a collection that I will draw and he can give me instruction to work on it. That's what needs to be done.

It was really fun having a first day of school. It's been a long time. I've been out of college 10 years this spring. Kate Middleton found abundant parking at the FIT campus.
Kate bike is in there

And I saw this cute leopard bike...
Leopard bike

And when I got up-close I found out it's all duct tape! You go, girl. I know a girl owns this bike.
duct tape bike


5 comments:

  1. Such great work lady. I did a mini class in high school on fashion drawing and I'd love to do it again (my teacher was not so great). Am really excited to see what you come up with for your collection! Yay!

    Secondly - it had never occurred to me that I could entirely duct tape my bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to do a fashion drawing class but unfortunately there are no schools in my area. Some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie

    I really love your drawings, I thought they were professional ones, they are so good.

    I used to draw and paint and wanted to go to art college but my Mum wouldn't let me!!!! Imagine that now hey? She thought it wasn't a very secure occupation.

    My cousin's daughter worked for Abercrombie & Fitch in the states as a designer of mens clothes, before that River Island & A & F headhunted her. She now works in London for Jack Wills.

    Must be a family thing as my Mum is a beautiful drawer and painter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11/07/2011

    Hi Julie! I love your blog! It's really inspiring to see someone sans spandex get out there and show 'em how it's done:) It's funny that you found a leopard print bike in NY, though-i live in Cali and did the same thing with mine a few months ago: http://toothmang.com/sunflowersandwich/?p=86

    :3

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.