9/8/11

More Reasons to Bike Polite

I went to the Community Board 8 meeting last night in support of the expansion of bike lanes and protected bike lanes on the Upper East Side on 1st Avenue. 

I had major breakthroughs and left the meeting feeling exhilirated with the fire of pro-bike activism. Learn from me- imitate my cute commuting and polite bicycle style! 

Major realizations:
1. If POLITE and COURTEOUS BIKERS like Me were the poster children of bike lanes - this city would have glorious protected bike lanes everywhere. 

2. Young people need to be involved in their local government. You don't have to run for office, just know what's up. But running for office would help.
Young progressive needs to be active! 
I think it's safe to say I was the youngest citizen (not required to attend by an employer) at this meeting. I'm 31.

3. Grandma sees you running those red lights and she can't do anything about it at the time when you do something rude on your bike but SHE CAN VOTE AGAINST YOUR BIKE LANE AT THE COMMUNITY BOARD MEETING. 

I got up and gave a little statement after the first citizen commenter made an observation that made me wild inside. I was amazed how quickly my blood could start boiling. Right before I walked into the meeting, I realized it might go down like the ones on the show Parks & Recreation. This came true. 

I was surprised at how many people seemed to care about cars and congestion. I'm on the side of "Let's do more to have less cars" 

There will be a full board meeting September 21st and I will be attending and I'm also going to try to sign up to give a 2 min. comment. My polite biking little face needs to be on stage. 

There were (mainly one) a few people who wanted the irresponsible traits of bikers to be cracked-down upon, as in, police the bikers in a tougher way- Instead of bashing these people, I wish they could get to know my kind - the LadyBiker and the GentlemanBiker. 

A few reasonable citizens did not seem impressed by the "Don't Be a Jerk" campaign and I agree. I believe the emphasis needs to be on Bike Polite. Bike Informed and Bike Polite. 

I think if they said "Bike Smart" People would feel that they are biking "smart" I think the word "Informed" would encourage them to look up the rules and laws. I've had nice bike lady friends who did not know that It's the LAW to have a BELL and LIGHTS. 

Bike Informed and Bike Polite! 

Let me also say how impressed I was with the staff of the DOT - Department of Transportation who were there giving this presentation and fielding questions from both sides of this debate. 

They were smart and eloquent and they gained a cheerleader who works as @Juleskills on twitter. 

The presentation the DOT gave should be here but the plan really mirrors what's going on in the East Village- A warm cozy blanket of protected bike lane. 




5 comments:

  1. Nice Post Julie. Glad to hear you are inspired and empowered to participate in the process to make NYC streets safer for pedestrians and bicyclists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/08/2011

    Love it! You so smart.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for speaking, Julie! Perhaps I'll have more courage to do so next time, as well. I think some dots need to be connected for these people. For instance, we are polite, and we feel we have a right to get from point A to point B in safety, but we can't control the behavior of other cyclists any more than a driver can control the behavior of drivers who hit-and-run pedestrians, or a pedestrian can control the behavior of other pedestrians who jay-walk.

    And that better infrastructure *really does* bring on better behavior because it gives cyclists a slow spot on the road to ride. Without lanes the only people brave enough to bike are those willing to speed to keep up with traffic.. and when you do that the temptation is to blow the red lights to get ahead of the bunch of cars that would be honking their horns and revving their engines at you if you waited politely at the light in front of them. And sure, you could ride on the side, but between the door zone and oblivious drivers turning without looking that in itself has it's own set of dangers.

    I'm a polite cyclist - but rarely ride roads w/out lanes. I have plenty of female friends who would love to bike, and they're the polite type, too, but they are terrified to do so w/out infrastructure. Whole convoys of us riding reasonable speeds the right way up the lanes would make salmoning, speeding and blowing the lights very difficult, reducing the need for enforcement and giving a major boost to safety all around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Holly, you're right! I didn't even really think of that. Before they put the bike lanes in on 2nd and 1st Avenues I did feel like I HAD to run the reds (only after stopping and waiting for all pedestrians and cars, it was against the law but it was always polite and for safety) in order to get in front of the traffic because they really don't give a hoot about intimidating you and almost running you over. I stopped when I had a safe space to bike in and didn't have to worry as much about a car running me down when they took off like a rocket as soon as the light turned green. 2nd Ave approaching Bowery is still a mess though, and I admit, I will start going just a little bit before the light turns green at 2nd or 1st Streets, because I've had way too many incidents where I was almost hit or crushed by drivers who were speeding and mad at me for existing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love your blog its so different and special! kisses for you and look with that!
    keep posting!

    http://www.mysticlipstick.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.