The other part of those thoughts was that if I got killed... Matt, my husband, had to go through my saddle bag to review my belongings, he would find my pristine helmet inside and be very angry at me for choosing not to wear it. Even "just once."
How about the police and or EMT's who would respond to the scene? If I was lifeless but in a helmet- even if I was dead, at least I tried. I would look like I set out that day with safety in mind.
That's how I feel.
I think I'm very aware of the legacy and the belongings we leave behind because I dealt with that when my mother died. I got very emotional just reading her drug-store shopping list. Seeing her handwriting. Her box of make-up.
They say that women especially become obsessed with their own mortality when their mother dies. My mother is dead and I am obsessed.
So you think it better to blame the victim than deal with the source of the risk? The sad truth is helmets don't save lives.
ReplyDeleteI've had not one but several collisions with cars or the pavement that have resulted in everything from headaches to just short of death.
ReplyDeleteI didn't wear them before but I certainly always will now. Walked away from an ER visit totally ok after getting thrown (and landing on the back of my head) on the west side in May.
Be safe pretty lady!
The 'sad truth?' And your sad opinion is supported by what facts or data exactly?
ReplyDeleteReally, if you're not going to wear a helmet, that's your business but don't make frivolous and baseless claims to the contrary to support your ridiculous opinion.
oh my! my mother died when I was 18--i share ur same obsession! love this post. motherless bloggers unite.
ReplyDeletefyi the last sentence was meant to sound over the top and ridiculous. please never ever take my comments too seriously. ha
ReplyDeletebut I really do have a dead mom!
ReplyDeleteYou are awesome!
ReplyDeleteyeah...i don't get why all the people who don't wear helmets are so freakin aggro when someone suggests it might be a good idea to put one one, if you're in a city like NYC and London...
ReplyDeleteIt's law to wear helmets in Australia. No choice, we want our cyclists alive!
ReplyDeleteThe helmet issue is classic Blame The Victim mentality. It's the same as saying she asked for it cause she was wearing slutty clothes. The fact is roads are dangerous because people use 2000 lbs of machinery to move around their little bodies. I call Ridic!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI could not BELIEVE the ridiculous comments I got when I posted something about always wearing a helmet, too. I didn't realize what a polarizing issue it is. I'm with you though...better safe than sorry, especially in this city.
ReplyDeleteMy sister-in-law went on a casual, slow bike ride NOT wearing her helmet. Her bike slipped on a rock making her fall and she lightly hit her head on the ground. She thought she was fine until she woke up the next morning with blood coming out of her nose and ears. Luckily her BFF who was a doctor was with her when she told her to call 911 right away. She had a brain hemmorage and didn't even know it. Doctor told her if she had come any later, she would have died. I wear my helmet all the time after hearing this story.
ReplyDeleteI'm from Australia too and it's never been any other way for me - bike + helmet = always. No excuses. (Same with skateboards, skates, scooters etc). I don't understand why you wouldn't wear one?
ReplyDeleteI don't really care what other people do, if they're strongly opposed to wearing a helmet, they're free not to. I'm pro-helmet for a number of reasons and feel the same way you do--if I were ever in an accident on the one day I forgot it... My mother is still alive but my father is terminally ill. I think about what it would do to my mother were I do die in a bike accident. I know I could get crushed by a truck or do something stupid while wearing a helmet--or die 100 other ways in a car, crossing the street, drop dead of a stroke, etc. But wearing a helmet feels like I'm taking at least that precaution and sparing my mother.
ReplyDelete