I have my own personal Tiger Mom friend. She's bossy in a really loving way. Saturday afternoon we visited her in Queens. She took us to a huge, new mall - The New World Market. She says since we've been to that food court, we pretty much know exactly what going to China is like.

Some very busy and outrageous shave ice.
We went to dim sum and she called the shots. Thank goodness.
She told Matt he holds chopsticks like a professional (which I'll never hear the end of) and she insisted that I drink several cups of this tea.
We went to her apartment but stopped at the swingset first.
We felt so strange riding the subway on a beautiful day! We're in this wonderful place where we have no idea how much money is left on our MetroCards because we are riding public transit so infrequently. Awesome! We saw some fantastic graffiti from the 7 train.
I love her! She tells me to be nice to my husband so Matt loves her too! And I love that she had a giant Minnie Mouse on her couch.
I might go back for one of these watermelon babies. I love them!

PS- My Tiger Mom's adult son is a violinist and seamstress on a professional level, and has a PhD in something- I forget. She's the real deal and I'm so glad we're friends.





I guess I have to go to Queens the next time I am in the 'hood. I would fit right in at that mall:)
ReplyDeleteI held chopsticks incorrectly for many years (neglectful parenting) until my grandma finally fixed me.
S*
What fun!
ReplyDelete(also, looks as if you are setting trends for CNN to follow. They just posted a piece about ethnic fare along the 7-line in Queens: http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/07/11/in-queens-take-the-no-7-train-to-the-worlds-fare/?hpt=hp_c2 )
Looks like you had a lot of fun!
ReplyDeletetiger mom? like chinese zodiac? im a tiger mom too ;D
ReplyDelete