
I biked the Brooklyn Bridge for the first time last night and it was awesome!
Here's a post from the first time I walked it a few years ago.
I got an alarming phone call yesterday from a friend letting me know she was in the hospital. I think she's going to be OK, but she was in for observation. I mapped the hospital and saw that it was near the Brooklyn Bridge. I'm slightly intimidated when it comes to biking in Brooklyn. I just don't know it very well. It requires a little map-studying, and that's what I did.
I prepared directions and used clothes pins to clip them to my basket.

This is my round-trip route.

It was raining a little and that cleared out some of the tourists, I'm sure. I had consulted friends on Twitter and I was advised to get in a tourist mindset and I was, so I was happy. It was also my first time biking over this bridge so I was really into the scenery. For a long time I've recommend walking over the Brooklyn Bridge at night my favorite NYC attraction because it's so beautiful and it's free.
I got poured on in Brooklyn. Drenched and then some, but I was fine. I dried out on the way home.

This pic is blurrr-city but I was happy and a guy in a bike-tour group took it. They were on a paid bicycle tourism tour. I was happy to tell them about a cool, free ride tonight (and every last Saturday of the month.)

When my clip-on directions got me back to the Brooklyn side entrance handily, you have no idea the relief I felt. Getting on that bridge meant I could get myself home and at this point, I could forget the directions. My Brooklyn geography is very poor.

I was relieved to pull it off so easily, but I was prepared. At one point, I opened up my emergency parka but decided that I would rather be wet than wet and covered in plastic.
I loved this ride. I love that I biked about 20 miles and totally deserved to stop at Shake Shack and get a sweet Root Beer Float. I was also exhausted and slept very well.
How awesome! Im dying to bike the BK bridge since the hubb is right there in DUMBO...I would require a guide thru BK..I too am intimidated!
ReplyDeletea question: how do you map your route and link it to your blog page? I am curious to know b.c I tried doing it for a blog post and can't quite get it :/ we biked from queens to Harlem his past Thursday :)
I take a screen-shot of the map, then crop out the ugly stuff in the margins.
ReplyDeleteahhhh i see coolio thnx :)
ReplyDeleteI live in Texas and one of my dreams is to bicycle across the Brooklyn Bridge.
ReplyDeleteLove the clothes pins idea. I've walked the Brooklyn Bridge and admired all the cyclists that rode by. Next time I'm in NY, maybe :)
ReplyDelete