5/30/11

Doom'sDate Bike Date for Simply Bike

Another bicycle date in NYC posted last week on Simply Bike in case you missed it. 
DoomsDate - Dooms Day Bike Date
New York City has been the epicenter for May 21st as Doom's Day fanatics getting out their message. My husband and I had a weekend all to ourselves, so I decided it would be a perfect time to have a fantastical, self-indulgent date night for just the two of us- just in case!

If it really was the apocalypse, I knew bicycles would be the smartest mode of transportation around the city (though they already are in my opinion.)

I got a tip about a restaurant in our neighborhood from the Lady Gaga sale on Gilt. Dorrian's Red Hand has a reputation for great burgers, and what else would make a better last meal than a fat, juicy burger?
IMGP5747

The weather was great all day, but it began to pour while we were ordering in the restaurant. Thankfully, we ordered a pitcher, burgers, and took our time catching up on some gossip. My husband is a fun gossip companion!

Our bikes got drenched in the downpour. I carry a bandana in rainy times whether I'm on bike or foot, simply to keep my hands dry.
IMGP5762

Matt, who was wearing one of his vintage skinny ties, also discussed the importance of tucking-in your necktie while you ride on your bicycle. And here he is crossing through a deserted Central Park right after the rain.
IMGP5753

We got to the Upper West Side and as we were getting on the West Side Greenway I noticed this statue of Elanor Roosevelt and needed to be photographed near her... in my Rapture-Red dress!
IMGP5756

This is basically our route from our neighborhood on the Upper East Side, down to our next stop- The Duane Park supper club in TriBeCa. (About 7.5mi each way.)
Dorrian's Red Hand to Duane Park Supper Club

It's great to have the West Side Greenway. It's like a bike superhighway and it's really nice and comfortable to ride on it instead of the streets.
IMGP5769

I'm a hopelessly devoted fan of The World's Most Famous Drag King Murray Hill, so we went to check out his current show at Duane Park.
Mister Showbiz - Murray Hill

There were sexy singers and fancy burlesque performers. Murray often introduces Dita Von Teese, and has appeared on Bored to Death.

Duane Park was fancy, intimate and small and I always love whatever entertainment Murray Hill is hosting. I'm also very flattered that I get a little love and affection from him!
Murray & Me <3
I'm cheesing so hard! I swear I'm not drunk! But I did have 2 fancy cocktails there - A Pom Pom and something with vanilla vodka and a mini-marshmallow garnish! LadyDrinks for a LadyBiker!

I love biking in this cape; it's not only very fun to wear, but I think it's great for bike visibility!
My fav. bike cape

I just think this is a funny picture of us. We were relieved to get out of traffic, as we were near the Holland Tunnel, it was a little nerve-wracking!
IMGP5802
We were happy to be back on the greenway.

This is our final pic of the night's festivities.
The End - DoomDay Bike Date!

The rapture didn't get us after all, but bike-date fever is running through my veins!

3 comments:

  1. Do you mind taking the Greenway at night? I rode it once at night from Battery Park to Harlem and parts of it were really dark (and a bit scary). I kept thinking someone was going to jump out of the bushes and throw me in the river.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I read your Packable Feast blog! Loosely. Because we don't keep groceries in 'da house. Go you!

    Greenway at night DOES have some SKeery Dark parts. If I wasn't with my husband- even though he's skinny and non-threatening - I would pee my pants and just pedal super fast!

    Yes- It has super scary parts at night. Have never done the scary parts by myself. Would probably sing loudly and RING THE HELL OUT OF MY BELL While I went through them to scare the bears away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Now I don't feel like such a baby. Thanks for peeking in at my blog too. I haven't posted in over a month...oops. See you on the streets, sister!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.