I got a road bike. A fast and furious carbon bike. I rode it about 40 miles in the first 24 hours.

Yes, I rode in this outfit! I didn't even mean to go that far, just a jot around the neighborhood, but before I knew it, I was five miles out of town. Things happen fast on this bike.
Matt's pretty embarrassed for me using the flat pedals, but I think I need to adjust to all these other changes and upgrade the pedals (to clips or dual-clip) in a few weeks.
We did about 16 or so miles on the Arkansas River Trail today. We went from the bridge at the Clinton Library west to the Big Dam Bridge and back through North Little Rock.

The weirdest thing to me, about riding in these conditions is how many miles you can go without stopping at a stop light. I'm used to stop and go NYC traffic. This is free riding for miles, uninterrupted.
It's extremely peaceful and pretty desolate for miles.


This bike is an insanely fast, fancy, and lightweight machine. It's not for living my life; it's for sport and recreation. I even ordered a bike jersey.
I'm going to write a post on the selection process, but I'm too pooped from all the excitement.

Yes, I rode in this outfit! I didn't even mean to go that far, just a jot around the neighborhood, but before I knew it, I was five miles out of town. Things happen fast on this bike.
Matt's pretty embarrassed for me using the flat pedals, but I think I need to adjust to all these other changes and upgrade the pedals (to clips or dual-clip) in a few weeks.
We did about 16 or so miles on the Arkansas River Trail today. We went from the bridge at the Clinton Library west to the Big Dam Bridge and back through North Little Rock.

The weirdest thing to me, about riding in these conditions is how many miles you can go without stopping at a stop light. I'm used to stop and go NYC traffic. This is free riding for miles, uninterrupted.
It's extremely peaceful and pretty desolate for miles.


This bike is an insanely fast, fancy, and lightweight machine. It's not for living my life; it's for sport and recreation. I even ordered a bike jersey.
I'm going to write a post on the selection process, but I'm too pooped from all the excitement.
Congrats on the new bike!! ... and carbon too - I'm so jealous!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the 'more than 1 bike' club ;)
You've entered the new world of the carbon bike. Isn't it wonderful??? And light too??? Now just get a good set of bicycle shorts (I resisted for a long time) for those really long rides. :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your new road bike! May you have many happy miles on it. Just be careful you don't turn into one of those tour de france wanna be's that ride in the 5 BBT. Carbon? Bike jersey? Hmm, sounds like you might already be turning into one.... ;-)
ReplyDeleteMy husband did a big organized (Big Dam Bridge Ride in Little Rock) ride this weekend and he was miserable in the waiting/starting area just like how I was at the 5boro. He agreed that if he were not in it with his friends from the start, he too would have hated the situation and dropped out. I should have dropped out of the 5 boro before it began. But I was dedicated since I raised money for a cause I believe in- Planned Parenthood.
DeleteI am still horrified that I saw someone in sweatpants wearing white athletic socks with sandals in the 5boro.
Misery, misery, misery.
Nice bike but dont get duped into clips, they are ridiculous! Before you know it you are flat on your side in the middle of an intersection struggling to get your damn feet out of the pedals. Sooooo not a good luck. :0)
ReplyDeleteLove the bike. I'd love a new one, mine is from 1972, but I do have a few. Maybe next year. Congratulations on your new life. Maybe try some toe clips and straps before clipless pedals.
ReplyDeleteAna Nichoola shorts!
ReplyDeletelove your lilac jeans! i use cruiser handlebars and never learned how to use dropbars on the few test rides i've taken. it's scary!!
ReplyDeleteCarbon fiber? Holy smokes. How much?
ReplyDeleteJulie--I bought my road bike, Cleo, a year ago and was TERRIFIED of the clipless pedals. Now I love them and after 1 year, haven't had a single fall (knock on wood). This is what I did to get used to them: find a skinny hallway in your home (one where you can easily reach both walls with your outstretched hands), position your bike right in the middle, get on and using your arms, hold yourself upright on the bike, then practice clipping in and clipping out repeatedly. Do this several times a day for 5-10 minutes at a time until it becomes second nature. After I felt comfortable with this, I had my husband stand in an empty parking lot and rode in a huge circle clipped in. As I approached him I slowed down and unclipped my "stopping foot", signaling to him that I was unclipped. We agreed beforehand that he would catch me in case I wasn't able to do it.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations and enjoy your new bike!