5/22/12

Journal Entry

I'm carefully painting my nails at my desk at work...one at a time... as to not attract attention with the smell. We had our The Bachelorette watch party last night (up past bedtime) and tonight I'm going to see the Gossip (concert of rad music) so here and now is the only time I can paint my nails into the hot pink festive color that the season requires.

I'm very excited to see Beth Ditto tonight. She's an Arkansas girl too. The last time I saw her, she had a cute, custom-made dress and her voice is so big and mighty, it's thrilling.

Last weekend was nice. Matt's first weekend at home in a few weeks. I was so busy, I let him vaccuum. Usually he is not qualified and I do it. I volunteered at PP on Saturday and he played basketball with his little gang. I got there early and took myself to get breakfast at Peels. I had a biscuit (It's hard to find biscuits around NYC) and jalapeno grits. My volunteer shift was pretty peaceful, but there was a small event when a neighborhoodie stole one of the anti-choice protesters signs. This is an act of dreamboat charm in my eyes.

If you ever need to go to an AB clinic and you don't want the pro-lifers to swarm you, I advise you to not come with your boyfriend. Come with a group of girls so they don't know where to focus their energy. They also seem to be ageist, in that they don't harass not-so-young ladies. Or maybe they know the not-so-young ladies will rip up their propaganda and toss it in their face, which sometimes happens.  

Monday I got pretty rained-out on my bike. I had a little trouble stopping on the wet streets. It's hard to ride slowly and gingerly when you really want to haul-ass and escape the misery of being rained on. My jeans were wet til about 1pm. I get in at 9am. It was gross.

I never really did a post about the bike fashion show. The best part was meeting JSK and getting to talk to her about her career path before the other people figured out who she was and started bombarding her with requests and complaints and I felt bad for her, because this must happen in every social setting. Later I said something like "Gosh, it was nice before everyone figured out who you were" and she was cute about that. She's a badass and it was really lovely to get to speak to her. She rides a globe brand bike and wears the Bike New York nutcase helmet.

The other great part about the fashion show was testing a bunch of bicycles but I'm really sick of talking about bicycles right now.

Let me get back to painting these nails. (revlon fuchsia fever :)

3 comments:

  1. Just want to send you a message of support. I had been considering bike commuting for some time (I live in Seattle -- at the top of a big hill!), and your blog was the first I found that really gave me to push to do it. Mostly it's the "I can do it in normal clothes while looking cute" thing. I was not interested in changing when I got to work each morning.

    I also enjoy your posts about hair, makeup, etc. It doesn't have to be all about bikes all the time. When I started riding I loved it right away, and could not stop talking about and thinking about riding. However, my friends don't ride so I started a blog just so that I could stop bothering people who didn't care. I became excited to meet other people who ride, but I've been mostly disappointed. Because of the intense hills here, mostly only the hardcore spandexed people ride. And that's frustrating, because they don't understand how *you* can do it and still look normal.

    So my point is that I've been riding now, year-round, for just over a year. I'm obsessed, and you are partially to thank for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice comment. Thank you so much for this. I'm glad I was a good example for you, and I love hearing that you ride in your normal clothes- warms my heart!

      xoxox
      Julie

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.