Friday after work I immediately reported to the bar on the roof of the Ink48 hotel for my make-up firend Deja's going away party. She's not going anywhere, she's just quitting MAC and going freelance. The views up there are gorgeous but a bottle of Brooklyn Lager was $11. Strip clubs and roof top bars have something in common - $11 bottles of beer.
-But the event was lovely because her friends were lovely people who could teach me fabulous things. One was a professional tailor. He goes to photo shoots, like fancy ones and taught me some tricks about bras and swimwear. To make bra-straps really hold the boobs up like bolts, you have to zig-zag stitch ribbon on the inside to squash the elasticity w/out changing the look of the strap, for example.
He also made me very happy when he said he works with a very cheap machine he bought at Sears over a decade ago. In tailoring, it's not the equipment, it's the skills & talent. I loved that. I loved getting confirmation that my cheap little machine is everything I need.
Saturday morning I rode my Viva bike to Harlem to pick-up Malaika. We biked over the George Washington Bridge. We biked all over the place - at least 25 miles of ripping up the streets of NYC and a tiny bit of New Jersey. I'm really glad we had lunch at the Boat Basin Cafe along the Hudson River. Riding around the city helped my Spoked project map & points. I'm also glad we went to the BUST Magazine spring craftacular. I regret not buying the ice cream cookie sandwich. Saturday night me and Matt walked Bonnie to pick-up burgers then we sat on our couch and watched a silly stupid movie - Horrible Bosses.
Sunday morning we stopped at Orwasher's and picked-out hand-filled jelly doughnuts and got iced coffee on our way to C. Park. We took Bonnie so she could look at squirrels and pigeons and I secretly hoped to see Ricky G. again. Fearing sunburn, we walked home and then collected things to go to our mini-storage unit. The dreaded seasonal wardrobe switch. We tidied up our unit and removed a lot of items to donate. Then we took the spring clothes to our apartment and headed to Housing Works to make our donation. We went to the grocery store as a team because the situation at our apartment was dire. Remember, we don't have a car, so we take 4 - 6 cloth bags and only buy as much groceries as we can carry home.
Matt made us a late lunch of grilled cheese with apples on seedy bread while I cleaned a little and sorted the laundry, which we do not do ourselves, thank goodness. I took my Linus to the alley for a bath. We are getting our photo taken today. Around 6:45 I got all my necklaces that I have on-hand and went to a neighbor's house who had asked to purchase one. They had another neighbor over and the mood was festive to say the least. I accepted a large glass of wine and really enjoyed my visit. An hour later I returned home. Matt was not impressed with my behavior. He accused me of being drunk, but he still let me give him a haircut. I did a great job.
ps- the only time I jacked his hair up in any tiny way at all, was right before his PhD dissertation but it was a tiny spot over his ear and he wears glasses anyway, so who cares?
Matt fixed spaghetti while I was out at the neighbors. We typically do "spaghetti Sundays" Mad Men was thrilling. I turned on our air conditioner for the first time this year. Girls was good too. It was hard to go to sleep.
-But the event was lovely because her friends were lovely people who could teach me fabulous things. One was a professional tailor. He goes to photo shoots, like fancy ones and taught me some tricks about bras and swimwear. To make bra-straps really hold the boobs up like bolts, you have to zig-zag stitch ribbon on the inside to squash the elasticity w/out changing the look of the strap, for example.
He also made me very happy when he said he works with a very cheap machine he bought at Sears over a decade ago. In tailoring, it's not the equipment, it's the skills & talent. I loved that. I loved getting confirmation that my cheap little machine is everything I need.
Saturday morning I rode my Viva bike to Harlem to pick-up Malaika. We biked over the George Washington Bridge. We biked all over the place - at least 25 miles of ripping up the streets of NYC and a tiny bit of New Jersey. I'm really glad we had lunch at the Boat Basin Cafe along the Hudson River. Riding around the city helped my Spoked project map & points. I'm also glad we went to the BUST Magazine spring craftacular. I regret not buying the ice cream cookie sandwich. Saturday night me and Matt walked Bonnie to pick-up burgers then we sat on our couch and watched a silly stupid movie - Horrible Bosses.
Sunday morning we stopped at Orwasher's and picked-out hand-filled jelly doughnuts and got iced coffee on our way to C. Park. We took Bonnie so she could look at squirrels and pigeons and I secretly hoped to see Ricky G. again. Fearing sunburn, we walked home and then collected things to go to our mini-storage unit. The dreaded seasonal wardrobe switch. We tidied up our unit and removed a lot of items to donate. Then we took the spring clothes to our apartment and headed to Housing Works to make our donation. We went to the grocery store as a team because the situation at our apartment was dire. Remember, we don't have a car, so we take 4 - 6 cloth bags and only buy as much groceries as we can carry home.
Matt made us a late lunch of grilled cheese with apples on seedy bread while I cleaned a little and sorted the laundry, which we do not do ourselves, thank goodness. I took my Linus to the alley for a bath. We are getting our photo taken today. Around 6:45 I got all my necklaces that I have on-hand and went to a neighbor's house who had asked to purchase one. They had another neighbor over and the mood was festive to say the least. I accepted a large glass of wine and really enjoyed my visit. An hour later I returned home. Matt was not impressed with my behavior. He accused me of being drunk, but he still let me give him a haircut. I did a great job.
ps- the only time I jacked his hair up in any tiny way at all, was right before his PhD dissertation but it was a tiny spot over his ear and he wears glasses anyway, so who cares?
Matt fixed spaghetti while I was out at the neighbors. We typically do "spaghetti Sundays" Mad Men was thrilling. I turned on our air conditioner for the first time this year. Girls was good too. It was hard to go to sleep.
If the Linus is Kate, wouldn't that make the Viva bike Pippa ?
ReplyDelete