
I'm going to be a hair show model in about ten days. I'm super excited because I love to get professional hair & make-up. I really love to learn about hair & beauty from professionals.
I'm going to be in this show for this salon:

Yes- after my sessions end, I am going to soak up the convention.
Viva on the Left, Kate on the right. This is my lock-up spot for this salon. I love the cafe balloons. VIP.

Yesterday, I got the message that the owner wanted to see me again and speak to me about the show.
My hair went on a job interview. The owner ratted the ends of my hair with his fingertips and I fell in love. I spent a lot of time at work today trying to re-create what he did.
Tonight I went and met the stylist in charge of me for the show and he gave me a thorough cut and talked about his plan for my hair for the show. I am definitely getting my hair cut twice and colored once and a conditioning treatment before the show, then I get completely done-up for the show both days... I think. It's unclear if I'll get styled exactly the same both days.
I loved tonight's cut. I love my blunt bangs. After he did them, he taught me how I can maintain them myself.

I am really happy how every hair person who's dealt with me lately, including these guys, and the lady who did my hair for the NYPost are very supportive of me cutting my own hair. They're really happy for me, and that makes me glad I cut it myself the past couple of months.
My guy tonight also confirmed that my DIY Salt Spray is Awesome. Never buy salt spray again, guys. Make that stuff at home.
How to make it? Take a bunch of sea salt and mix the heck out of it in HOT water so the salt dissolves and then put a little leave-in conditioner in there and mix it some more. You could also smash the salt with a mortar & pestal if you're fancy. And add fresh lemon juice to make it a little sticky.
He told me another more complex technique that we can get into if we hang out and you care. You need actual ocean water from the beach. Maybe after Memorial Day and I can visit the beach I'll do a blog post tutorial.
He also taught me what I should do after I put in dry shampoo. I've been using dry shampoo incorrectly it seems. I just brush it out. You're supposed to blow dry your hair a little bit too. I'm excited to try it and find out but until that hair show, I don't think I'm going to do much to my hair myself at all.
YES! I absolutely ran into the bathroom to take pictures of this done hair...

My face was/is tired. This face has been on the go for 12 hours.
I had to smash it with my bike helmet. Safety before Beauty.

Safety before Beauty!!!
Gah! I've been trying to grow out my bangs for a bit more than a month and then you come along with your super cute baby bangs and professional confirmation on home haircuts!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm totally making your salt spray.
I have to try that salt spray. B&B's salt spray was my faaaaavorite. Until I got tired of paying for it.
ReplyDeleteNot a hair comment, but just saw this bike basket and thought of you: http://www.thedailymuseblog.com/2012/04/minimalist-bike-basket.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dailymuseblog+%28the+daily+muse+%29
ReplyDeleteI like the new 'do!
ReplyDeleteLovely! I have a straight short fringe too, and being a new cyclist, I am wondering how the fringe will survive a 5 mile ride to work with helmet.. What can I do to get my hair right for a full day at work when I get there? My hair is pretty much the opposite condition to yours (fine and I wash it every day, or else!) but I am interested in how you cope?
ReplyDeleteYour blog has been a big help and inspiration to me in cycling over the past week, thank you!
Martha
I am not a fine hair expert but I can offer these tips. As soon as I get to my destination the first thing I do is rip off my helmet and "fluff" my hair with my fingers. I like to let my hair air out ASAP and getting the helmet off immediately helps, I think.
DeleteKeep a little brush with you and maybe a revitalizing product like Bumble & Bumble prep-spray to freshen your hair up. Maybe re-wet parts of it if you get "crimps" from your helmet. Spot-wet it and comb that out.
Ultimately, for helmet-wearers- Embrace slightly wild, slightly imperfect hair. Life's too short to stress very much over hair anyway. (Even though I'm pretty obsessed with my hair, I'm obsessed with it but not obsessed with it being perfectly styled every day.)