2/29/12

She's Trying to Kill Me

This video is safe for work - I don't curse or squeal.

The Linus Dutchie 1 may not be out to sabotage me, but her chain guard is trying to kill me.

I didn't know how to convey this in photos so I found last night's episode a good time to make a video explaining. Despite how I explain the problem in the video - this has happened to me a handful of times. It happened tonight around 10pm when I was riding home from seeing Gloria Steinem at 92Y, but that's for another post.

I was pretty pissed off that this happened to me, and I had to pull off to a desolate sidewalk to fix it anyway, so I whipped out my camera and made a video. No one will jump or rob you if you are making a video of yourself cursing out your bicycle.

-But my initial video has me saying some tangy curse words and it was pretty dark, so I went home where there was better light and made this clean edit video. 

The Linus Dutchie not only has a rust reputation online now, it's going to have a temperamental, sabotaging chain guard reputation too if this story gets out.

I don't explain it thoroughly, but I owned this bike the whole summer before I needed to wear ankle-covering or real shoes. This first happened in a pair of high-tops. The first few months I owned this bike, I just wore flats or skippies AKA keds.

I'm not giving up on this bike, yet, but I need to find a solution to this.

Cuz' she tryin' to Kill Me! 

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/29/2012

    Julie, that is annoying! Linus should replace your chainguard for free because you can't be the only person who is having that problem. Have you taken it back to the bike shop where you purchased it? You've given Linus a great deal of exposure so I think they need to take care of you and find a solution to this problem. It looks like the metal is very soft anyway. I wouldn't want to be able to move it at all but it appears to be quite pliable in your video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/29/2012

    That chainguard moves so much--that's crazy! My bike doesn't have a chainguard, but even I know that shouldn't happen. Kate Middleton is so pretty, but seeing her metal parts bending in your video, it looks like Linus didn't use very high quality steel to make her. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is horrifying! I'm glad you're okay after dealing with that, lady. I'm going to fiddle with mine when I get home and see if it's loose at all. I wonder if someone can bend the bottom seam in like a small fold to reinforce the way it's supposed to sit at the bottom if it can't be replaced. (Although it looks like it should be replaced.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3/01/2012

    This is on Linus for sure: they not only need to deal with your personal problem, but with the structural issue that could affect other riders. Press them about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. Super dangerous and scary. Glad you're OK, could have been a disaster.
    She might have Kate Middleton looks, esp with your upgrades, but I think her *real* name is Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and i was considering in getting a linus dutchie. i'm having second thoughts now. they should definitely fix this for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are sending me a new chain guard. That doesn't fix the design flaw or curb potential danger really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3/04/2012

    That is so wrong! One minute of hesitation while you are trying to pedal could cause you to be injured. I am quite disappointed in Linus and Kate as well! Hope this gets resolved for you pronto!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.