7/7/11

Surprise Time Capsule

There is a magical element to my life. I've had a pen-pal for twenty-six years, I somehow managed to get myself on the Martha Stewart Show, I get to live in New York City and I married the boy of my now-deceased mother's wildest dreams. I'm doing something right.

Usually I get emotional rewards for nurturing relationships, but this week I got a surprise box in the mail. A wonderful time capsule of someone wonderful's clothes from around 1983. Handmade things and store-bought.

I was way too excited and tearing into a fit of dress-up that I didn't take pictures of everything but this piece is so special that I am submitting it to the FIT Museum (Fashion Institute of Technology) to see if they want it for their collection. It's a new with tags Betsey Johnson swimsuit. 
Vintage For Real Betsey Johnson Swim

It's so sad and tragic that it's foreign to my eyes to see that "Made in U.S.A." on the tag.

If FIT doesn't want to take it on, it's going to this yellow-obsessed friend of mine who is proudly showing her page from the NY Times Style Section. 
From February 2010.

7 comments:

  1. Julie I had a dress from that Betsey season with the same Siouxsie punk rock tag, same exact top of the swimsuit with the v-dip yoke in front and back in blue and black stripe with a full black skirt attached. I ordered it from a catalog and waited for it for weeks. Wish I'd kept it now, thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so SPECIAL! Awww... I hope FIT wants it for their museum! That would make me so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7/08/2011

    This makes me so happy!

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post!!! And I'm starting to think I might be named after a bathing suit...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie - I recently started reading your blog and I think this is my first time commenting! That bathing suit is lovely. One of my favorite wardrobe items is a 70s Betsey Johnson bathing suit my mother owned, with hook & eye closures up the front. It's been worn quite a bit but it's still wonderful, I usually wear it as a top under pants/skirts. Thanks for sharing your treasures, I hope FIT takes it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad people are enjoying this treasure! I will post more treasures. More treasures, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. did FIT take it after all? it is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.